Most people occasionally experience bad breath (transient), a condition caused by poor dental hygiene, hunger, thirst or eating foods like onion and garlic. Morning breath is a good example of this, which can be corrected by brushing, flossing, munching mints or gargling mouthwash spray. But chronic bad breath also known as Halitosis presents a more severe condition evident in one out of four people.
The affected people may not even know they suffer from the problem until someone tells them. If your condition is chronic, it may be a sign of an underlying health condition e.g. gums disease, indigestion, dental decay, or severe gastrointestinal problems.
- Sour or metallic taste in the mouth.
- A thick coat of white matter made of dead cells, food debris and dead bacteria covering the tongue.
Historically, bad breath is a result of poor dental hygiene but where there is no sign of gum disease or plaque other reasons could be:
- Dysfunctional liver and gallbladder: the liver may be overtaxed with too much sugar, alcohol, drugs, and chemicals from processed foods or fat thus unable to rid of these toxins as fast as you load the body with them. A chronic condition indicates the body is toxic and the toxins are being expelled through the lungs in the breath.
- Respiratory disorders such as tonsillitis, sinusitis and bronchitis can also be a leading cause by forming a discharge at the back of the throat.
- Parasite infection in the gut
- Tobacco and cigarette smoking
- Deficiency in Vitamin B3 – Treating bad breath while detoxification and increased water intake can help remedy the situation, following a juicing diet has proved to eliminate the problem and correct the underlying health issue.
Benefits of Juicing
Raw juice therapies like lemon juice (combined with cinnamon, honey, spinach, and parsley) apple juice (in the form of apple acid vinegar), grapefruit, pineapple and tomato juice are the best organic natural juices to treat odorous breath.
- Lemon juice: it works by neutralizing any food remains in the mouth after brushing. Lemon juice also removes mucus and residues of waste material from the body and stimulates the cleansing of the liver.
- Spinach and parsley juice works through chlorophyll action which eliminates bacteria and restores the health of the digestive system.
- Pomegranate juice used in Middle-East has also been found to treat this condition well.
Adding garlic and wheat grass to the juice blends aids in detoxification due to their stimulating and antibiotic properties. Garlic is also known to destroy parasites and other unwanted germs in the digestive system. Note that while a juice-only remedy presents an efficient way of treating bad breath, the symptoms may appear to get worse during the detoxification period. It is because the toxins are expelled in large amounts and working towards improving your breath. During the detoxification period, it is important to avoid processed, refined and carbohydrates like white, flour, white sugar, white rice as well as coffee.